Is Gaming Good For You? 21 Dec 2017 9:12 PM
Every day we play Habbo. Have you ever thought about whether Habbo can be good for us or is it just destroying our lives?

After I read some studies on this subject I have found some interesting results to talk to you all about! So here we are: “When Gaming Is Good For You”.

Videogames can change a person’s brain and, as researchers are finding, often that change is for the better. A growing body of university research suggests that gaming improves creativity, decision-making, and perception. The specific benefits are wide ranging, from improved hand-eye co-ordination in surgeons to vision changes that boost night driving ability.

People who played action-based video and computer games made decisions 25% faster than others without sacrificing accuracy, according to one study. Indeed, the most adept gamers can make choices and act on them up to six times a second — four times faster than most people, as other researchers found. Moreover, practiced game players can pay attention to more than six things at once without getting confused, compared with the four that someone can normally keep in mind, said University of Rochester researchers. The studies were conducted independently of the companies that sell video and computer games.

So… enjoy your games! 🙂
Reply: Is Gaming Good For You? 21 Dec 2017 11:43 PM
Yes :D I don' think it's ruining my life, self steem and things like that because I do KNOW how to filter the things and people who really matters these days, and cast all the rest which don't deserve our attention! In a MMO, you'll either deal with those who will support you, approve and follow your creativity and enthusiasm (not too worthy of surprise, let us say, because this is what things were supposed to be) or those "dementor"-wise members who will suck your energies and make you feel weird for acting the way you do, and that is the moment when the videogames can become quite "toxic" to us because if you're in this side of the force, you're not having fun or enhancing your own brain somehow! It pretty much depends of which side you're on and hopefully you're having lots of fun now
Skilled
Reply: Is Gaming Good For You? 22 Dec 2017 10:10 AM
I think gaming is good for us as long as we don't get too addicted 

Reply: Is Gaming Good For You? 25 Dec 2017 12:32 AM
Yes it is good as long as it does not have priority over your personal life!
Reply: Is Gaming Good For You? 30 Dec 2017 10:08 AM
Sooo... I was writing a lengthy reply but I'm going to condense it a little; mainly because I stupidly reloaded the page.

I was part of a small Australian National division where we focused on youth-life. The group was endorsed by the Federal Government (just if you were wondering).
I cannot describe or say the division due to personal reasons.

Our division looked at so many aspects of youth-life. And funnily enough, gaming was one of the topics looked into it.

In this reply, I'm going to show my view and insights of how gaming can be good and how it can be bad.
Most of you have summed it up in this thread, but I wanted to give a little more insight of the goods and bads.
Of course, people may rebut my view, and feel free too.

Indeed, many will say "gaming is bad" and "gaming is good". And it is completely understandable.
At a technical point of view, gaming is a complex topic and it can be viewed in so many ways.

In this section, I'm going to use Habbo. A game of course that most of you on this forum have played or do play. I use Habbo in this so you can relate to what I may be saying :)

How is Habbo bad?
Well, Habbo is typically a game you play in your past time. A few days ago, some may have saw that exessive or addictive gaming is now considered a mental health condition. And my view is completely along this.
So... what is excessive gaming? In my view, excessive refers to doing something more then what is usual; going overboard with time in this instance. We all live different lives and so our length of past times will be different to one another.
But the recent excessive gaming definition has been determined by reoccuring gaming behaviour. Which yes, is understandable too.

So what does this mean? Logging on to Habbo once a day for 30 days is bad? Well apparently you might be considered to have a disorder. But I'm not the doctor to diagnose you with that.
In my view, if you're living a healthy life; going out with mates, playing sport, working and doing what you'd usually do. And scheduling a little bit of Habbo, I find that perfectly fine.
(And to rebut what I said about Habbo logging in for 30 days in a row; Habbo actually commends you for logging in for 'x' amount of days and you receive the 'Frequent Resident' achievement. So that's a bit of a stint in itself).

What else is bad about Habbo; basically these 'trading' places are back which affects young people getting into gambling (sorry to drop that here), as well as bullying and you know... the continuing Channel 4 phenomenon which I won't go into detail about #TheGreatMute.

How is Habbo good?
As a young person, I learnt a lot from Habbo and I've invested just a little bit of time and money into it.

The Habbo Market place. Boy, this is like a real market. Furniture prices will influx and furniture prices will deflate. And there's factors behind it, and this is very similar to the real life stock markets.
For example, I remember a furniture that was only released once and people in the game thought it would never be released again. The price was steadily rising from 5C up to 15C, but when the item was released again, the price has since everment steady at 5C, with players knowing the item may return again.

The Community, again there's that Channel 4 hysteria (#TheGreatMute again). But that doesn't stop people going about their social buzzing on Habbo. In some instances you'd be able to butt-into conversations with people who you've never met. And that's kinda great for social skills. Before Habbo, I probably had barely any social skill; by talking to complete randoms in the game, you'd learn quite a bit if you take it seriously.
Habbo is a like a walk at the supermarket - you'll have happy people, people who argue (aka wanting a refund!) and people who just live their life.
You meet all kinds of characters and you learn a lot about the sociology of people.

To sum it up - how else is Habbo good?
The mazes - they test many skills such as patience and motor skills.
The games - again test many skills.
The achievements - well... some.
The agencies and jobs - a great way to learn how an organisation and will life will evolve.

To be honest, without Habbo, I might have not learnt some nifty skills or have been given some life values by some players in the game.
Habbo is good for you! But there are some factors you should take into account and steer clear of.

I hope this gave some sort of nifty insight and a view.
This is non-professional but I am giving some insight of my experience working along side some major organisations and tertiary places around Australia.

I'd love to hear your responses and what you think about what I said.
Love ya's
Reply: Is Gaming Good For You? 30 Dec 2017 5:57 PM

Player Posted
30 December 2017 10:08 am

Sooo... I was writing a lengthy reply but I'm going to condense it a little; mainly because I stupidly reloaded the page.

I was part of a small Australian National division where we focused on youth-life. The group was endorsed by the Federal Government (just if you were wondering).
I cannot describe or say the division due to personal reasons.

Our division looked at so many aspects of youth-life. And funnily enough, gaming was one of the topics looked into it.

In this reply, I'm going to show my view and insights of how gaming can be good and how it can be bad.
Most of you have summed it up in this thread, but I wanted to give a little more insight of the goods and bads.
Of course, people may rebut my view, and feel free too.

Indeed, many will say "gaming is bad" and "gaming is good". And it is completely understandable.
At a technical point of view, gaming is a complex topic and it can be viewed in so many ways.

In this section, I'm going to use Habbo. A game of course that most of you on this forum have played or do play. I use Habbo in this so you can relate to what I may be saying :)

How is Habbo bad?
Well, Habbo is typically a game you play in your past time. A few days ago, some may have saw that exessive or addictive gaming is now considered a mental health condition. And my view is completely along this.
So... what is excessive gaming? In my view, excessive refers to doing something more then what is usual; going overboard with time in this instance. We all live different lives and so our length of past times will be different to one another.
But the recent excessive gaming definition has been determined by reoccuring gaming behaviour. Which yes, is understandable too.

So what does this mean? Logging on to Habbo once a day for 30 days is bad? Well apparently you might be considered to have a disorder. But I'm not the doctor to diagnose you with that.
In my view, if you're living a healthy life; going out with mates, playing sport, working and doing what you'd usually do. And scheduling a little bit of Habbo, I find that perfectly fine.
(And to rebut what I said about Habbo logging in for 30 days in a row; Habbo actually commends you for logging in for 'x' amount of days and you receive the 'Frequent Resident' achievement. So that's a bit of a stint in itself).

What else is bad about Habbo; basically these 'trading' places are back which affects young people getting into gambling (sorry to drop that here), as well as bullying and you know... the continuing Channel 4 phenomenon which I won't go into detail about #TheGreatMute.

How is Habbo good?
As a young person, I learnt a lot from Habbo and I've invested just a little bit of time and money into it.

The Habbo Market place. Boy, this is like a real market. Furniture prices will influx and furniture prices will deflate. And there's factors behind it, and this is very similar to the real life stock markets.
For example, I remember a furniture that was only released once and people in the game thought it would never be released again. The price was steadily rising from 5C up to 15C, but when the item was released again, the price has since everment steady at 5C, with players knowing the item may return again.

The Community, again there's that Channel 4 hysteria (#TheGreatMute again). But that doesn't stop people going about their social buzzing on Habbo. In some instances you'd be able to butt-into conversations with people who you've never met. And that's kinda great for social skills. Before Habbo, I probably had barely any social skill; by talking to complete randoms in the game, you'd learn quite a bit if you take it seriously.
Habbo is a like a walk at the supermarket - you'll have happy people, people who argue (aka wanting a refund!) and people who just live their life.
You meet all kinds of characters and you learn a lot about the sociology of people.

To sum it up - how else is Habbo good?
The mazes - they test many skills such as patience and motor skills.
The games - again test many skills.
The achievements - well... some.
The agencies and jobs - a great way to learn how an organisation and will life will evolve.

To be honest, without Habbo, I might have not learnt some nifty skills or have been given some life values by some players in the game.
Habbo is good for you! But there are some factors you should take into account and steer clear of.

I hope this gave some sort of nifty insight and a view.
This is non-professional but I am giving some insight of my experience working along side some major organisations and tertiary places around Australia.

I'd love to hear your responses and what you think about what I said.
Love ya's

I completely agree with what you said about Habbo and to tell you the truth Habbo is one of the games that I have a very bad addiction too and like when my mom or dad takes my laptop to I get pissed off. I can't concentrate on my studies every time I'm studying I have another tab of Habbo open because it's very addicting, thank you for sharing your decision with us :~)
Skilled
Reply: Is Gaming Good For You? 31 Dec 2017 7:00 AM
My addiction to habbo used to be really bad to the point it killed my social life and my wallet. But tbh it's just boring now so I'm not very bothered. Sure gaming can be bad for you to an extent, but honestly there's no problem with playing games as much as you want. 

Reply: Is Gaming Good For You? 31 Dec 2017 1:49 PM
YES , BECAUSE I LEARNED SO MANY THINGS BECAUSE OF GAMING
I EVEN ENHANCED MY ENGLISH SKILLS BECAUSE OF GAMING :)
IM REALLY PROUD TO BE A GAMER! :)
Reply: Is Gaming Good For You? 10 Apr 2018 9:03 AM
Gaming is good if you know how to control yourself

You're missing out!

Login or signup free to participate in discussions!

Learn more about us »

Viewing as Guest

Guests can only view posts in limited forum categories.

Login or sign up

Active users
Found your new crush?