Talented
Music videos as a platform for social issues? 31 May 2016 1:18 AM
I am really behind with this but I've only just seen Troye Sivan's 3-part music video 'The Blue Neighbourhood Trilogy' which uses the 3 songs WILD, FOOLS and Talk Me Down.

The whole idea of the music videos is to tell a story and share a message about, in this case, growing up gay. It's obviously one of those things you can only really relate to if you've been through it yourself and it's something really close to my heart.

My question is, do you like the idea of artists using their music to empower people or tackle social issues such as homophobia, racism, ableism etc.? I think it's a brilliant thing as these people can get the attention the topic needs. The full trilogy is below (and it's actually really sad) but the songs are also uploaded individually to Troye's youtube channel!

Rookie
Reply: Music videos as a platform for social issues? 31 May 2016 1:25 AM
I think it's a great idea to use music videos to tackle social issues. People like Troye Sivan who is idolized amongst a lot of people can easily grab the worlds attention, and I think that this is a good use of that 'power'

johannes

Novice
Reply: Music videos as a platform for social issues? 31 May 2016 8:10 AM
lots of young people look up to music artist as their idols so by showing social issues in their videos its a great way to reach alot of people
[center][img]http://i.imgur.com/Nq0zsLZ.gif[/img][/center]
Skilled
Reply: Music videos as a platform for social issues? 31 May 2016 8:16 AM
Definitely! Music videos can be readily viewed by the mass so the message can be sent through more easily. It also has a bigger impact when theres hidden meanings or social issues in the music video and therefore it tends to be more long lasting. 

Kaleidoscope Love

Talented
Reply: Music videos as a platform for social issues? 31 May 2016 8:54 AM
Jas Posted
31 May 2016 8:16 am

Definitely! Music videos can be readily viewed by the mass so the message can be sent through more easily. It also has a bigger impact when theres hidden meanings or social issues in the music video and therefore it tends to be more long lasting. 

Isn't it funny that the only people who seem to ever do anything like this are young, new artists. It's as though older more successful ones are too scared incase they face backlash. Too concerned about their money.

Skilled
Reply: Music videos as a platform for social issues? 31 May 2016 9:09 AM
Music and their music video's are such a great way to send out messages. Because let's be real, who doesn't listen to music these days? I find it great that artists are using their talent to bring up social issues!

Novice
Reply: Music videos as a platform for social issues? 31 May 2016 4:36 PM

Armset Posted
31 May 2016 8:54 am

Quote skipped.

Isn't it funny that the only people who seem to ever do anything like this are young, new artists. It's as though older more successful ones are too scared incase they face backlash. Too concerned about their money.

It's great the youths are making an impact! I think that it's awesome because they might remember the song with the message of the music video and everyone listens to music mah
Skilled
Reply: Music videos as a platform for social issues? 1 Jun 2016 2:50 AM
Yes I think that this platform has quite an impact as music is the universal language and most parts of the world have access to youtube, making these music videos easily available for all to see! Although, excessive focus on these topics may bring more hate instead and a song may not always be able to explain or aid the specific topic!!

seduction is my art (-:

Reply: Music videos as a platform for social issues? 7 Jan 2018 2:40 PM
Yes and no. 
As an initial awareness platform, yes.
As an informative platform, no. Due to social issues being more widespread and deep-rooted, and could be at risk of over-simplification or generalisation in a 3-8 minute video .

You're missing out!

Login or signup free to participate in discussions!

Learn more about us »

Viewing as Guest

Guests can only view posts in limited forum categories.

Login or sign up

Active users
Found your new crush?