Harambe [Discussion] 2 Jun 2016 8:32 PM
Discuss your views on the decision to put down Harambe!
Skilled
Reply: Harambe [Discussion] 2 Jun 2016 8:34 PM
I feel what the zookeepers did was the right thing. Yes, the whole thing could have been prevented but the kid was already in the enclosure. Once in the enclosure the gorilla kept dragging the kid around, which by the way is no way at all 'protecting the kid' as some sources say. Gorillas are very aggressive and even when shot with a tranquilliser, it would have just agitated the gorilla further and possibly killed the kid in anger. For future cases, the zoo should upgrade the enclosure, seeing as the kid easily went in it and the parents should definitely be prosecuted for negligence. It's sad what has happened to Harambe but I do support the zoo's choice. 

Kaleidoscope Love

Reply: Harambe [Discussion] 2 Jun 2016 8:35 PM
I don't believe the shooting of Poor Harambe was really needed. If the parents of the child had kept a closer eye on their child. Like good parents should do. This whole mess could have been avoided.
Talented
Reply: Harambe [Discussion] 2 Jun 2016 8:37 PM
Eucalypt Posted
2 June 2016 8:35 pm

I don't believe the shooting of Poor Harambe was really needed. If the parents of the child had kept a closer eye on their child. Like good parents should do. This whole mess could have been avoided.

The kid was already in the enclosure and it isn't about prevention now. What other choices could there have been besides shooting Harambe?
Reply: Harambe [Discussion] 2 Jun 2016 8:38 PM

Jas Posted
2 June 2016 8:34 pm

I feel what the zookeepers did was the right thing. Yes, the whole thing could have been prevented but the kid was already in the enclosure. Once in the enclosure the gorilla kept dragging the kid around, which by the way is no way at all 'protecting the kid' as some sources say. Gorillas are very aggressive and even when shot with a tranquilliser, it would have just agitated the gorilla further and possibly killed the kid in anger. For future cases, the zoo should upgrade the enclosure, seeing as the kid easily went in it and the parents should definitely be prosecuted for negligence. It's sad what has happened to Harambe but I do support the zoo's choice. 

Pretty much just this.
Skilled
Reply: Harambe [Discussion] 2 Jun 2016 8:41 PM
I think this entire situation started because of the cage?? I don't get how the child can climb such a steep wall, and how did the child began the climb??? I think they should put some barriers, I mean, looking at the current design, it is easy for people to accidentally drop stuff down into the enclosure and if that happened, who is to blame? I feel that, the source of the problem should be tackled and not pushing around the blame to the zoo officials or the parents, hope the zoo would install more safety features! 
Last edit: 2 June 2016 8:41 PM

seduction is my art (-:

Reply: Harambe [Discussion] 2 Jun 2016 8:43 PM
Pretty much what Jas said, bottom line it's the parents fault... The zoo did what they thought was necessary to prevent the child being hurt... Sadly that resulted in Harambe being lost, and yes it was 100 percent preventable which is what makes it so devastating. But what's done is done.. Can't be reversed. It is sad, especially given Gorillas are endangered and we should be preserving their lives.

Beginner
Reply: Harambe [Discussion] 2 Jun 2016 8:45 PM
i think it was the right thing to do. however it was an unnecessary one

harambe was a gorilla with strength a few times that of humans. all he need was just one second and that little boy is gone

furthermore, he was seen dragging the boy. that is, according to sources, a 'display'. gorillas do these displays to intimidate and frighten their rivals

how about tranquilizers? two reason imo that killing harambe is a better choice than tranquilizers.
A. one thing about tranquilizers is that it takes time. the bigger the animal is, the longer time. 
B. they are in one foot deep water. if harambe was in the wrong position, he would drown. a risk of pinning the boy and drowning him was also present

that being said, i still think a lot could have been done to prevent an incident like this

apparently the kid told his mother that he was going to climb over the railing but nothing was done to prevent him from doing that

my 2 cents. correct me if im wrong
Last edit: 2 June 2016 8:47 PM
Skilled
Reply: Harambe [Discussion] 2 Jun 2016 8:46 PM
Here's the video for those who haven't seen it :

Kaleidoscope Love

You're missing out!

Login or signup free to participate in discussions!

Learn more about us »

Viewing as Guest

Guests can only view posts in limited forum categories.

Login or sign up

Active users
Found your new crush?