Rookie
AMD Radeon RX 480 Graphics Card 17 Jul 2016 11:36 PM
The RX 480 graphics card seemed to be AMD's saviour after a downfall of the business. The card offers VR capability, full 4K support on many games, and runs extremely well. However, the main benefit is the price. For a 8GB graphics card, $250 is a no-brainer. 

The device has compute speed of 5.5 teraflops and runs on DDR5. 250-bits, and strong CrossfireX support further proves how significant this card, running the all new, advanced, Polaris 10 engine. 

However... it's not all good news.
After days of release people discovered the device was pulling more power than it should. It was so advanced the motherboards couldn't take the load. The devices in many cases were pulling power loads from the boards which was beyond the 'limit' set by safety regulations. There was fear there 'could' be a chance it could overheat a computer (possibly catch fire) or shorten a computer lifespan.

Nevertheless, AMD to the rescue! As of yesterday, the company has released a driver update, promising it will divert power consumption from another source, the PCI 6 pin port, which is safer. Surprisingly, many have said performance has not dropped in this change! Saying that, many are still cautious of this, so AMD has added a toggle to lower the performance to help save power. 

What are your opinions though? Do you think it would still be safe to use, or risk using? What are your opinions of the card as a whole?  
Skilled
Reply: AMD Radeon RX 480 Graphics Card 18 Jul 2016 12:53 AM
Tbh if I bought the card and my computer caught fire, I'd be getting some lawyers out ;)
Beginner
Reply: AMD Radeon RX 480 Graphics Card 18 Jul 2016 4:28 AM
before my mac on my windows build I was running the builds predecessor the Radeon R9 270X and I never had an issue. If it is overheating it's probably not an issue with the card it's self but with the build, you need to find compatible components before you go jamming a computer together

You're missing out!

Login or signup free to participate in discussions!

Learn more about us »

Viewing as Guest

Guests can only view posts in limited forum categories.

Login or sign up

Active users
Found your new crush?