Rookie
Good Night, Dear Heart - Dan Forrest (East Carolina University Chamber Singers) 2 May 2016 9:53 PM
Hi! I'm assuming most people here aren't very exposed to some music genres, such as choral or opera. So here I am to help!! 

Text:
Warm summer sun, shine kindly here,
Warm southern wind, blow softly here.
Green sod above, lie light, lie light.
Good night, dear heart, good night, good night. 

This text was adapted by Mark Twain from Robert Richardson's poem "Annette", and was inscribed on Twain's daughter's tombstone when she died at age 24. 

So, why did Dan Forrest decide to set it to music? Well, his brother in New York planned to adopt orphaned children from Ethiopia. However, one of the baby, who was a four-month baby girl named Etsegenet, never made it to him. She died of an infection before reaching the foster family. Forrest then started setting the poem to music, unintentionally to a choral setting. He finished writing the piece in less than 24 hours! He must've been really heartbroken and a lot of emotion must have been put into it to be able to complete such a moving song in such a short amount of time. 

This text is raw, and is a plea to nature for a peaceful rest for a loved one. The death of Twain's daughter and Etsegenet must have devastated both parties. I hope both of them are now in peace. 

Let me know what you guys think about this! 

with love,

Skilled
Reply: Good Night, Dear Heart - Dan Forrest (East Carolina University Chamber Singers) 2 May 2016 10:47 PM
nicu Posted
2 May 2016 9:53 pm

Hi! I'm assuming most people here aren't very exposed to some music genres, such as choral or opera. So here I am to help!! 

Text:
Warm summer sun, shine kindly here,
Warm southern wind, blow softly here.
Green sod above, lie light, lie light.
Good night, dear heart, good night, good night. 

This text was adapted by Mark Twain from Robert Richardson's poem "Annette", and was inscribed on Twain's daughter's tombstone when she died at age 24. 

So, why did Dan Forrest decide to set it to music? Well, his brother in New York planned to adopt orphaned children from Ethiopia. However, one of the baby, who was a four-month baby girl named Etsegenet, never made it to him. She died of an infection before reaching the foster family. Forrest then started setting the poem to music, unintentionally to a choral setting. He finished writing the piece in less than 24 hours! He must've been really heartbroken and a lot of emotion must have been put into it to be able to complete such a moving song in such a short amount of time. 

This text is raw, and is a plea to nature for a peaceful rest for a loved one. The death of Twain's daughter and Etsegenet must have devastated both parties. I hope both of them are now in peace. 

Let me know what you guys think about this! 

This is too literature for me HAHAHA I'm so sorry x-x I am a fan of chorale though, I attend various school concerts at Esplanade, at Victoria Concert Hall and this coming May.. I will be attending two concerts consecutively!! Woo, hopefully I don't drain myself out ~ 

In addition, I have taken courses for musicals before too!! hmm, so I do have some knowledge on operas and how they work (x 
Last edit: 2 May 2016 10:48 PM

seduction is my art (-:

You're missing out!

Login or signup free to participate in discussions!

Learn more about us »

Viewing as Guest

Guests can only view posts in limited forum categories.

Login or sign up

Active users
Found your new crush?