Skilled
Parents with Broken English 21 Jul 2016 3:27 PM
I'm not sure if a lot of you can relate to this but I definitely can.

My parents migrated to Australia when I was about 4 years old and they knew very minimal english.

All my life I've been translating for my parents and having to sort my own school things myself e.g. permission forms, enrolment forms, homework, etc. 

I never knew how much this video got to me, especially towards the end. I found myself tearing up along the way. 

This video made me realise how much my parents have sacrificed in order to move to a better place and that whenever they need help or don't understand, I shouldn't be frustrated with them but rather help expand their english vocabulary. Now that I look back on it, I used to get really embarrassed whenever my parents tried to speak in broken english but they too were probably very embarrassed or frustrated by it. 

I suggest you guys watch the video and its important to note that you should never make fun of someones english because they are at least trying their best, even if it doesn't seem like it. 

If you guys have faced similar experiences, would love to hear them!

Kaleidoscope Love

Reply: Parents with Broken English 21 Jul 2016 8:57 PM
wow you're my alter ego!!! sometimes it gets frustrating to help them with ALL the mail and bills and stuff, but they are amazing for whatever they've done still!
Skilled
Reply: Parents with Broken English 21 Jul 2016 11:49 PM
My parents came from the generation when Singapore haven't started it's bilingual education system!
Both my parents went to Chinese schools and my mum's family uses English so she knows a little but my dad is.... he tried learning English but he can't English..

Up till now, my parents often ask me for help w regards to English for example, how to spell, what is the meaning etc. 
I find it annoying at times but I speak Chinese too!! Since English isn't the only way to communicate with my parents, I tell myself not to get affected by their lack of English..

Nonetheless, I'm still very proud of my parents and they are experts in Chinese (way better than me at least)!! Broken English ain't gonna affect our relationship huehuehueheuh <3 

seduction is my art (-:

Rookie
Reply: Parents with Broken English 22 Jul 2016 12:42 AM
This was definitely touching and I never realised anything about this matter until now. My mom couldn't speak English when I was a young kid and I would get embarrassed because of it. As I grew up I became a lot more understanding and don''t find it a chore to translate to her at all (except for when she asks what a character just said in a movie 100 times). Anyways, her English is getting better. Just broken.

Skilled
Reply: Parents with Broken English 22 Jul 2016 5:11 AM
English is both my parent's first language so this does not directly affect me. However, it infuriates me so much when people start making fun of people who speak broken English. I mean, at least they are making the effort to learn the language you speak, you probably don't know a single word in their mother tongue??
Talented
Reply: Parents with Broken English 23 Jul 2016 3:50 AM
buzzfeed should stick to making dumb videos with no meanings behind it because these kinda videos bring tears to my eyes :(

tbh i never really need to translate english to my parents because they went to public school in the past when the english and mother tongue education system has been standardised in schools. however, i'm currently living with my grandparents who went to all malay-taught schools and i do understand the pain of translating english for them at times but they are really modern for their age and still trying to speak and learn english so there's really not much for me to do. 
Skilled
Reply: Parents with Broken English 23 Jul 2016 8:07 AM
When i moved here in 2001, my mom was literally ?_? because she grew up speaking only french. 15 years later and she's still not fluent because my mom had no time to go for english classes or stuff like that, so she learnt english by talking to people and sometimes through me. I still have to correct her emails when she's writing to someone important (Which actually makes me feel rly proud huhu) and sometimes at the market when she wanna buy stuff and my singlish is better than her's i gotta explain to the person what she's looking for. But all in all, i don't think people should be looking down on people who can't speak fluently in one language, rather than the one they were speaking their whole lives. It just shows how close minded people are tbh. 

Beginner
Reply: Parents with Broken English 25 Sep 2016 10:41 PM
My dad has broken and english and i cant blame him because he was born from a poor family and never had a chance to properly learn it but the important thing is he can still speak english and he can understand what people are saying to him.

shut it 

Beginner
Reply: Parents with Broken English 25 Sep 2016 10:42 PM
My dad has broken and english and i cant blame him because he was born from a poor family and never had a chance to properly learn it but the important thing is he can still speak english and he can understand what people are saying to him.

shut it 

You're missing out!

Login or signup free to participate in discussions!

Learn more about us »

Viewing as Guest

Guests can only view posts in limited forum categories.

Login or sign up

Active users
Found your new crush?