Novice
Stress less week 5 Nov 2018 2:57 PM

Are you stressed? well, this is the perfect competition for you! 

Task:
 - Think of how you release stress from yourself
- The advice you'd give to someone who is stressing out

Please abide by the rules listed in the following article and the top 3 less stressed people will win a prize plus all participants will be awarded a cute brain username icon for their calm minds.

Best of luck!
Harps
Rookie
Reply: Stress less week 5 Nov 2018 4:22 PM
I release stress by listening to music & Singing along to it, going for a long walk, playing games or reading.
My advice to people that are dealing with stress is to stop what you're doing, and take a step back. Go and do something you enjoy doing and then come back to whatever is stressing you out with a clear mind. x
Reply: Stress less week 5 Nov 2018 9:46 PM
I used to be very high-strung. Now I try not to get too stressed out because stress has very negative effects on mental and physical health. When I feel stressed, I like to focus on myself and do something for me. First I concentrate on my breathing and try to slow my breaths and relax. Then I'll put on some good, upbeat music. The best stress reliever I find is something you can get lost in for a little while that allows you to relax. One of the best stress relieves for me is working out in my room for a half an hour. I do some cardio, then some core workouts, then I meditate to cool down. Working out and meditating helps me to concentrate on my breathing, (which is very important in relieving stress), and helps release some of the tension I'm holding in. Plus, I feel really good afterwards - it's nice to do something good for myself!

My advice to someone who is feeling stressed out is to do what is best for you - whether it's tackling the stressful situation head on or taking a minute for yourself and relaxing. Do what you need to do to relax. Everyone gets stressed out sometimes. Don't stress over the little things. Life is short, and you deserve to be happy - not stressed! 
Reply: Stress less week 6 Nov 2018 7:29 AM
I tend to get quite stressed a lot as I am just coming to the end of high school and have work and family and a boyfriend to juggle. When I am feeling extra stressed I like to either go sit outside with some water and just relax for a moment. If I am unable to do that I like to close my eyes and clear my head, tell myself not to worry and to calm down. Also when I am on my own I like to light a candle or some incense and just have a lay down in the cool while listening to some calming music, I find music and helps the relaxation stage as long as it is something you vibe to.

My advice to someone who is feeling stressed is to try different strategies that you think will help you, there are heaps of websites that give you examples of ways to reduce stress levels. It's up to you to find out what best suits you, although I would say one of the most effective strategies is to make sure you're not too hot, drink some water, clear your head and then relax, even if it is all just for a moment.
Reply: Stress less week 6 Nov 2018 10:17 AM
School life, social life basically there are increasing amounts of pressure in everyone in this modern day society. University brings about many stress in many undergraduates, from the endless quizzes, exams, projects and assignments, it's inevitable that many of us are feeling all sorts of stress to various extent.

My advice would probably to let it out, talk to someone, tell them on how stressed you are, a listening ear is definitely better than keeping it to yourself. To make yourself feel more relaxed and less stress, maybe also do things that pamper yourself? Get yourself a gelato, buy yourself something online or anything. 
Reply: Stress less week 6 Nov 2018 11:39 AM
I have a different type of stress, it triggers me when i'm at new placers, or especially if i don't feel safe in a weird way, i am pretty sure it is my subconscious that triggers it. So whats happening is, i begin to think a lot of how to breathe, which is very uncomfortable, because then i kinda in a weird way forgets how to do so. So i slowly the more i think about it, i begin to hyperventilate, so i don't breathe the right way, so i get dizzy, and often are scared of passing out in public places, or especially when i'm driving car at the high way.

So yes this was my kind of "stress" and nobody actually understands it, so i have to fight it on my own. What i have learned the past 10 years now i think, is that the only thing that helps, is forcing my brain somehow, to think of something else, like literally anything there is possible to think of. So yeah, this is how i tackle my "stress problem" and if there should be anyone else out there with the same problem, then here is an advice for you.
Last edit: 6 November 2018 11:40 AM
Beginner
Reply: Stress less week 6 Nov 2018 3:16 PM
MongolMartin Posted
6 November 2018 11:39 am

I have a different type of stress, it triggers me when i'm at new placers, or especially if i don't feel safe in a weird way, i am pretty sure it is my subconscious that triggers it. So whats happening is, i begin to think a lot of how to breathe, which is very uncomfortable, because then i kinda in a weird way forgets how to do so. So i slowly the more i think about it, i begin to hyperventilate, so i don't breathe the right way, so i get dizzy, and often are scared of passing out in public places, or especially when i'm driving car at the high way.

So yes this was my kind of "stress" and nobody actually understands it, so i have to fight it on my own. What i have learned the past 10 years now i think, is that the only thing that helps, is forcing my brain somehow, to think of something else, like literally anything there is possible to think of. So yeah, this is how i tackle my "stress problem" and if there should be anyone else out there with the same problem, then here is an advice for you.

I've experienced this and apparently it's diagnosed as anxiety. It was very hard to explain to my doctor what happened the first few times it was like a panic attack that I couldn't control. There's really no permanent solution to this but everyone will learn how to fight this on their own. As for me, I have to be somewhere alone or like in a space or corner I feel safe and I think keep thinking of the sound of calming waves at the sea it helps me to calm down. Luckily in todays ever advancing tech, there's an app that plays such sounds. From water running through the rivers to waves to rain and so much more. For those of you who depend on sounds to keep you calm, then this might be a little help for you!

Reply: Stress less week 6 Nov 2018 7:47 PM
Studying away from home in a foreign country and having to learn everything in a foreign language, of course the term “stress” is practically written in bold capital letters on my forehead. It’s stressful to be far from family and all the familiar faces, let alone going through all these with anxiety issues.
However, I always try my best not to let the stress win over me. Personally I find that, whenever I’m at my wits end with all the pressure in life, I just stop whatever I’m doing at that moment. I take a step back, and if I’m in public and not in my room, I retreat to some place private, like the bathroom most of the times. And just take a few minutes to breathe. In. And out. In. And out. Then when I feel like I’ve gotten control of the overwhelming stress in my head, I’ll start putting in good and happy thoughts in my head.

Other times, when I’m alone in my room, usually the first thing I’d do is just to cry it all out. Although crying wont change anything in your stressful situation, at least for me it helps me feel a whole hell lot better after a good crying session. It helps me see my problems with a whole different, perhaps clearer, view again. But after the crying is over, I’ll stop whatever work I’m doing to just sit on the bed and open my Spotify playlists to calm myself. Some songs I listen to that put me back on my feet are; fluorescent adolescent by arctic monkeys, i lived by one republic, the only thing by sufjan stevens, i wouldn’t be by kodaline, flapper girl by the lumineers, and so many more I swear to you music is one of the best inventions of mankind. They make me feel so much better.

Besides that, I will treat myself to something nice, like a good warm shower, some good food and finally, a good rest. Yes, sleep helps.
But most importantly, make sure to always have a good support system; have some friends that you trust and could call at any time of the day, just to vent and rant. That, is the most important thing.
Beginner
Reply: Stress less week 6 Nov 2018 7:50 PM
mademoiselle18 Posted
6 November 2018 7:47 pm

Studying away from home in a foreign country and having to learn everything in a foreign language, of course the term “stress” is practically written in bold capital letters on my forehead. It’s stressful to be far from family and all the familiar faces, let alone going through all these with anxiety issues.
However, I always try my best not to let the stress win over me. Personally I find that, whenever I’m at my wits end with all the pressure in life, I just stop whatever I’m doing at that moment. I take a step back, and if I’m in public and not in my room, I retreat to some place private, like the bathroom most of the times. And just take a few minutes to breathe. In. And out. In. And out. Then when I feel like I’ve gotten control of the overwhelming stress in my head, I’ll start putting in good and happy thoughts in my head.

Other times, when I’m alone in my room, usually the first thing I’d do is just to cry it all out. Although crying wont change anything in your stressful situation, at least for me it helps me feel a whole hell lot better after a good crying session. It helps me see my problems with a whole different, perhaps clearer, view again. But after the crying is over, I’ll stop whatever work I’m doing to just sit on the bed and open my Spotify playlists to calm myself. Some songs I listen to that put me back on my feet are; fluorescent adolescent by arctic monkeys, i lived by one republic, the only thing by sufjan stevens, i wouldn’t be by kodaline, flapper girl by the lumineers, and so many more I swear to you music is one of the best inventions of mankind. They make me feel so much better.

Besides that, I will treat myself to something nice, like a good warm shower, some good food and finally, a good rest. Yes, sleep helps.
But most importantly, make sure to always have a good support system; have some friends that you trust and could call at any time of the day, just to vent and rant. That, is the most important thing.

Stay strong Mademoiselle! And I agree, having a good support system; friends who stick with you through good and bad. So important to have people you can depend on at your best and also at your worst!

You're missing out!

Login or signup free to participate in discussions!

Learn more about us »

Viewing as Guest

Guests can only view posts in limited forum categories.

Login or sign up

Active users
Found your new crush?